Thursday, February 4, 2010

Forest of Reading 2010


Are you reading any of the books on the Forest of Reading lists?


The Forest of Reading is an Ontario Library Association project that promotes a love of reading. Librarians and teacher librarians have nominated books by Canadian authors to create top ten lists for eight programs. Each program is aimed at a specific reading group. (For example, the Silver Birch ® Award Reading Program is aimed at readers in grades 3-6.) Students are encouraged to read the ten titles in their grade category and then vote for their favourite title. The program ends with an award event called “Festival of Trees.” According to the OLA website, the "Festival of Trees is Canada’s largest literary event for younger readers.” The event is held in Toronto where students, teachers, librarians and authors will gather to hear the winners announced. What better judges of children’s literature are there than kids! My daughter has already reserved a ticket through her school and is busy reading the books within her grade category.

I was excited to see the verse novel, Libertad, by Alma Fullerton, on the Silver Birch Award list. From the first poem to the last, I loved this book and have read it twice in the last month. I recommended this book to some of my friends, a few writers, my husband and my daughter. Libertad is “all the buzz” over here in my little world. I was lucky enough to hear back from the author, Alma Fullerton, agreeing to answer some questions for a blog interview. To read this interview and learn more about Libertad and Alma Fullerton, watch for tomorrow’s post.

No comments:

Post a Comment